Monday, February 15, 2010
One of the greatest joys for any parent is to see your child get dressed on his/her own. This can be quite a happy site early in the morning and could make your day. If you want your child to be able to dress himself/herself up properly then here are a few tips that you could consider following in order to ensure that your child dresses up on his/her own and properly too :-
1. You should start looking or reading weather reports along with your children. This has two benefits. First of all, it will help your child with his/her vocabulary and it is also going to help them to find out what the weather is going to be like the next day. Depending on the weather, they could decide whether they want to wear a t-shirt & shorts or long sleeves & jeans or capris & a top.
2. You can ask your child to start setting his/her clothes out on the previous night itself. This helps in saving you valuable time in the morning which would otherwise go fighting with the child to change what he is wearing as this would have already happened the previous night.
3. Try and ensure that your child does not have many clothes that they cannot handle themselves. Some children may have problems with zippers, others may find buttons to be a menace and thus, you should ensure that your child does not have any clothes which they cannot open or close on their own.
4. You should ask your child to also choose and learn to wear his/her own footwear. Socks and shoes are also a part of getting dressed and should be included by the child in the process. If you do not allow shoes inside your house then you should teach your child to keep them ready near the door so that they can speedily put them on and leave for school in the morning.
5. One thing that people tend to overlook or not consider a part of dressing is toilette. Remember that a child is never fully dressed until he/she has combed his/her hair, brushed his/her teeth and (if it is summer) applied sun tan on his/her arms & feet.
If you ensure that all of this is being done then you can rest assured that you will be waking up with a big smile on your face every morning.